Acid Rain & Ocean Acidification

Flesher, J. (2023, January 6). Scientists: Atmospheric carbon might turn lakes more acidic. GreatLakesNow. Retrieved August 16, 2023, from https://www.greatlakesnow.org/2023/01/ap-atmospheric-carbon-lakes-more-acidic/

Lakes around the US, specifically the great lakes in Michigan, have been suffering from increased acidity due to increased atmospheric build-up of carbon. Scientists are building a sensor network to track water chemistry trends to counter this. Errera a research ecologist with NOAA’s Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory in 

Ann Arbor, Michigan claims that the chemical change has an unknown effect on the location and spawn of the fish. Acidification could also deteriorate shipwrecks resting on the bottom. Despite nations theoretically doing their best to cut down their emissions, big lakes will most likely still acidify. Studies have shown examples of acidification harming development in fish, but the size of the issue is still unknown. 

This article offers an overview of the challenges and impact that ocean or lake acidification can have on fish populations and aquatic ecosystems. Ocean acidification is an overlooked side effect of climate change, despite it being a potentially huge issue around the world. The article made me think about how ocean acidification could impact the overall health of fish and perhaps even make them dangerous to consume. Furthermore, it made me confused as to why this issue isn’t more known in today’s society.

2 thoughts on “Acid Rain & Ocean Acidification

1. Great job with this post, Sebastian. I must admit, all my focus has been on oceans with this phenomena. It makes total sense big lakes would acidify too. Great they are tracking trends with their new tools. Do you think, as implied in the abstract, that these tools will help them somehow reverse the acidification?

• Thank you so much for checking out my post. Personally I believe that along with these new tools being used they are figuring out ways to counteract the ocean acidification.