US government is funding kills of endangered animals, activists say

Perkins, T ( 2023, August 31).US government is funding kills of endangered animals, activists say. Retrieved September 12, 2023, from https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/aug/31/government-agencies-accused-kill-endangered-animal

This article jumps right in as it shows how the US federal Government has been accused of protecting endangered species while also forming groups to kill those species, which can lead to their extinction. The people had begun to form petitions to stop the killings however, to their best efforts, it has yet to be done. The extinction is noted to not be an abstraction rather it is presented as clear to the public. In order for the idea of killings to stop to come into effect, we need to place a greater level of enforcement of the law of stopping the killings, leading to it having a greater impact. 

This is related to environmental science as it begins to describe the endangered species in these specific environments. The science behind it is the ability to record the deaths of these species and ways to protect them moving forward. My initial reaction was that this is horrible and something we need to put to an end almost immediately. Within the topic of environmental science, one key thing I have learned is the study of environments and how well they are able to survive in them. With that being said, if these animals can not survive with hunting and other environmental factors, we can do our part in attempting to eliminate what is causing these impacts. 

5 thoughts on “US government is funding kills of endangered animals, activists say

1. I agree with your reaction here – I never imagined that the killing of endangered species would be funded. Especially if the endangered species is a keystone species of an ecosystem. I wonder what the scale of this is? And I also wonder how this would benefit the government.

• Hi, I found this question very intriguing, so I did some research. Apparently, some governments would fund the killings of an endangered species mainly to boost the already thinned-supported species. For example, a government would fund the killing of an endangered keystone predator because the amount of prey hunted by large predators is thinning out. Great question!

• Thank you for your response. I believe that it would benefit the government so they would not have to dish out so much money for materials.

2. I agree with the part you said that we need to eliminate the factors that are killing these animals. This may mean that we need to block off ecosystems similar to a national park which also may not benefit the animals. Should the government try to save the wildlife while risking their evolution or should they leave things as they are?

• Thank you for your response. As a firm believer in the fact that we as humans should allow for adaption with evolution, we should just leave it as it is so that further generations will be more prepared as long as it doesn’t involve too much loss of species.