Largest known deep-sea coral reef mapped off US Atlantic coast

(2024, January 19). Largest known deep-sea coral reef mapped off US Atlantic coast. The Guardian. Retrieved January 20, 2024, from https://www.theguardian.com/environment /2024/jan/19/deep-sea-coral-reef-atlantic-coast  

Scientists have used new underwater mapping technology that unveiled the largest known deep-sea coral reef off the coast off the US. This coral reef extends approximately 310 miles stretching from Florida to South Carolina, and it reaches widths of up to 68 miles. This reef was found at depths ranging from 655 feet to 3,280 feet, so sun can not penetrate these reefs. Because of this, it must filter food particles out of the water for energy as it is not able to complete photosynthesis. These types of deep water coral reefs are home to sharks, swordfish, sea stars, octopuses, and many other types of fish. Unfortunately, due to climate change and oil and gas drilling, these deep coral reefs are in danger. 

This article is related to environmental science because it touches on the coral reefs and ecosystems under the water. It gives information about the type of life living in these reefs, and just furthers the importance of the discovery of the ocean. Only a small amount of the ocean has been discovered, and with newer and more advanced technology, we are very slowly making new discoveries. Not only is it related to environmental science because it is a part of an ecosystem, but it also is not like other reefs as it does not use photosynthesis, which is very interesting. I think that coral reefs are very biodiverse, and we need to do everything we can in order to preserve them, as they are a home to so many and are beneficial for sealife.

2 thoughts on “Largest known deep-sea coral reef mapped off US Atlantic coast

1. Excellent post, Gina. And you are right, the ocean is still largely unexplored. How cool to learn about this reef so deep that it has adapted other ways of getting energy since it’s so dark down there nothing can photosynthesize. Climate change is certainly on, however I have to wonder how much the temperature has changed that deep in the ocean. I imagine it is pretty darn cold down there. Of course if we start drilling in it that’s not going to help much.

Thanks for consistently delivering high quality abstracts and thoughtful reaction paragraphs, Gina. I hope your topic kept you interested.

• Thank you for reading my abstract! I find it so interesting to hear about the different ways that the organisms and ecosystems naturally adapt to situations around them. I would have never expected this!