Population Likely Peaked Three Years Ago

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2023/07/124862-california-decline-population-likely-peaked-three-years-ago 

California’s population has shrunk due to factors such as housing and work. Homes have become extremely expensive as well as the working conditions. Many people are expected to work from home, which can be very expensive. Many people in California are leaving because of this huge concern about the increase in prices of homes as well as goods. This isn’t California’s first year that the population continues to shrink but the third year. 

The article states that there was an estimation as to when the state would reach a population of 50 million. However, these estimations have been wrong as there has been a constant decrease in the population in California. There are other estimations that the effect of a population shrink in Los Angeles. This estimation says that the population in Los Angeles is expected to shrink by 1.7 million people from 2022 to 2060. Migration is also a crucial component of California’s population change, and there is an expected return of about 50,000 people throughout the next couple of years. I wonder if the estimation about the population in Los Angeles will become true because 1.7 million people in Los Angeles is a lot of people who would be leaving.

2 thoughts on “Population Likely Peaked Three Years Ago

1. I was very excited to see this development in population for California, but I do wonder if a population decrease in California really “counts” if it’s just because of migration, since that population is just moving elsewhere. I also wonder what the push factors out of L.A. are. Did the article mention why so many people are leaving the city?

2. I didn’t realize California’s population was decreasing by so much, so it’s interesting to know the reasons for why that is. Due to the reasons stated, I don’t see the population increasing anytime soon because our state especially is becoming more expensive, meaning more difficult to be financially stable. If this becomes a larger issue, do you think the government will decrease prices to increase the population?