California Is Working on Solutions to Worsening Climate Change. Will They Be Enough? – AC

This article discussed the many fields that are affected by climate change in California. In this article, it talked about wildfires, heat waves, sea level, rise, and droughts that burden cities in California everyday. In terms of heat waves, the article discussed that they appointed a chief heat officer to analyze neighborhoods that California can implement cooling strategies in. It talked about how models are widely uncertain at the moment regarding sea level rise because it will depend on how quickly ice sheets respond to the heating temperatures. However, they do expect 4 to 8 inches in the next three decades. The article alluded to the alarm that coastal homeowners will feel as a result of this. In terms of flooding, the article described how atmospheric rivers have been detrimental to communities across California. For example, the bear had numerous atmospheric rivers last year, which caused hundreds of millions of dollars in damage and correlates to the increased insurance rates throughout California.

I really liked how this article alluded to so many of the current events surrounding climate change in California. For example, California, and especially Lake Tahoe has had a significant lack of snowfall this far, which is a result of the increased rainfall, in addition to rising temperatures in the Sierras. Furthermore, the correlation between climate change and food production was underscored through this article. It was super interesting to me Climate change creates more intermittent storms, which flood farms, subsequently hindering the food supplies in California. I think this article did a really good job of drawing that connection, and it almost served as a persuasive article because that connection was made so clear. Finally, I appreciate how the article described the negative effects that the recent atmospheric rivers and el nino years have had on California’s climate.

2 thoughts on “California Is Working on Solutions to Worsening Climate Change. Will They Be Enough? – AC

1. what specific adaptive strategies do you think are most crucial for policymakers and communities to prioritize in order to effectively address the diverse challenges posed by climate change in the state?

2. I agree that this article does a great job of addressing so many issues regarding the economic and environmental consequences. Further, I wonder what are some specifics like what is the job of a chief heat officer and what their role plays in implementing cooling strategies. Also, how effective have all these strategies been in mitigating climate change?