California’s air regulator welcomes two lawmakers to its board

Megerian, C. (2017, February 22). California’s air regulator welcomes two lawmakers to its board. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-california-s-top-air-regulator-welcomes-1487794545-htmlstory.html

California lawmakers finally have a seat on the California Air Resources Board and hope to change some of the policies that have been neglected. For a while now the lawmakers and agency have had very little collaboration, now that state Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) and Assemblyman Eduardo Garcia (D-Coachella) have been placed on the board that lack of collaboration can be fixed. While these two will not have a vote they still might have some sort of say in the policies that will be considered.
I am glad that this change has come, as it means that improvements in air quality can be more effective. State sen. Lara said that “The residents of my district who live in the industrial heart of Southeast Los Angeles County and alongside the nation’s busiest port and trade corridors breathe some of the most polluted air in the nation, and too many suffer from poor health and lowered life expectancy.” This is something that we have been talking about in class, the idea of environmental justice. That the poorest members of society deal with the worst of pollution. If this addition to the California Air Resources Board can change this I am very much in favor.

One thought on “California’s air regulator welcomes two lawmakers to its board

1. I think it’s only fair that all areas should be strictly regulated in regards to air quality. I agree that the addition of these two new board members could change the whole dynamic, spurring quicker action and more well-rounded policies. Do you think the lack of collaboration within environmental agencies is the cause for our slow improvement/poor enforcement?