Reduce, reuse, replenish: Zero-waste refill stations and the end of recycling.

Reduce, reuse, replenish: Zero-waste refill stations and the end of recycling. (2020, March 6). Retrieved March 8, 2020, from https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/2020-03-06/zero-waste-shopping-refill-stations-los-angeles

The following article discusses the concept of an actual store in Los Angeles being implemented throughout the United States. The idea of this store is to be completely waste-free by having customers bring in their own containers to fill up with necessities such as shampoo or mouthwash instead of buying a completely new container each time.  Prices would be less for the consumer as there would be no need for packaging and it would also reduce a significant amount of waste. 

Although the concept seems like a very good idea, I don’t think it would actually work in the long run, because consumers are so driven by the convenience of getting a product instantly already packaged. This would just be an extra step someone would have to take for someone to get what they need. The only way I see this truly working is with a significant cost reduction for the consumer. Manufacturers could also just create programs of their own where they would ship you replacements of a product in a reusable container and you would ship the empty ones back, although this would then bring up the issue of pollution from transportation. 

4 thoughts on “Reduce, reuse, replenish: Zero-waste refill stations and the end of recycling.

1. I think this store is a great idea. While I agree with you it would be hard to implement and may not have a strong customer base in the beginning, I actually think it could work. There are a few stores like this around the world that are pretty successful. How much of a cost reduction on items do you think would encourage enough people to shop at these stores?

• I think there needs to be only a small cost reduction in order for this to work. For example, stores like Costco sell gas for a couple cents cheaper and have thousands of customers at their store.

2. I actually slightly disagree with you, I think this could work only if every store do this.
    I’ve seen this work in a different country.
    An example is buying drinks, its in a glass container and is much cheaper, whenever you come back to buy more you return the glass container and get another glass container with no additional cost.
    This would be a great way to reduce single plastic use.
    Unfortunately this concept is not easily implemented on every items.

• That is very true. I think a country like the United States would have a huge difficulty implementing a solution like you’re talking about because we do not currently have the infrastructure to support this.