The Emergence of Sustainable Travel

Glusac, E. G. (2021, February 25). Move Over, Sustainable Travel. Regenerative Travel Has Arrived. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/travel/travel-future-coronavirus-sustainable.html

This article is similar to the previous one, but focuses more on the tourism part of ecotourism, and what tourists need to do to protect our planet. Since the pandemic, there has been a rapid decline in tourism, with many travel bans in place. Many are expecting an extreme rise in tourism and travel in the coming months due to people feeling safer to travel. This could be great and cause many people to have jobs that are involved in tourism. However, if tourists are not caring for the environment, it could cause ecosystems to fall and collapse due to tourists.

This article focused primarily on the return of tourism following the pandemic, and how it will affect people and the environment. As long as we are able to protect our environment and treat it with care while we are on vacation, tourism will be great to have returned. I thought this article was helpful because it focused more on the tourism side of things while also adding how it will affect the environment and what we must do to be respectful to our planet.

4 thoughts on “The Emergence of Sustainable Travel

1. I agree with the fact that we need to treat our environment with care while on vacation. It is ok to have fun and explore places but in the end I think it is important that we understand how our travels might affect ecosystems and the world.

2. I think that it is great that tourism has returned and I agree that we need to always think of the environment. But wouldn’t tourism be the same as it was before COVID or will people just care less about the environment now?

3. I agree that we need to keep a common balance between tourism and focusing on our environment. What would be the difference in tourism with the delta virus out and before we went into lockdown?

4. I agree that while we vacation, it is important to treat our environment with care. I also believe though that when people are on vacation, they are a lot more careless about their surroundings even if they support helping the environment since it is not their native environment. Being on vacation usually means that you relax and let go, so this could prompt environmental care to be worse with tourists.