The US has the second-highest number of endangered species. California, Florida, and Arizona lead the nation in threatened creatures.

Paradis, T ( 2023, June 5).The US has the second-highest number of endangered species. California, Florida, and Arizona lead the nation in threatened creatures. Retrieved September 12, 2023, from https://www.businessinsider.com/us-second-for-most-number-of-endangered-species-2023-6

This article on endangered species starts off by talking about how the United States of America is ranked second in regards to number of endangered species, as the top states being California first, Florida second, and Arizona third. The main threat seems to be the increase in annual production of crops other than timber. Although there are mainly bad issues within this topics, there are some positives as the global threat to birds has decreased 4.7%. It seems as if the information that is given can almost always be upsetting, however the benefit that comes out of it is that there becomes a sense of urgency to fix the issues. 

Those endangered species are a result of many environmental factors as mentioned before, the science behind it is the ability to track the positives and the negatives coming out of this situation. Behind the research shown, there is always a large amount of data being recorded about these specific factors, relating to the environments and their fitness depending on the situation. My reaction to this was that I was surprised how highly we are ranked for most endangered species, as well as how my home state: California, is leading the charge of most endangered species.

10 thoughts on “The US has the second-highest number of endangered species. California, Florida, and Arizona lead the nation in threatened creatures.

1. It also surprised me that we are ranked second in the number of endangered species. I wonder if this has to do with our land size and what we rank in terms of endangered species in proportion to land size. What are some ways we can help these endangered species? Is the Endangered Species Act effective?

2. This is very intresting how California has the most endarged species. I wonder what are wasy that we can help solve this issue. Becuase california does most of the farming for a lot of our country it would be hard to stop growing crops.

• Thank you for your response, I believe we can solve this issue by allowing ourselves to put certain species ahead of our own needs sometimes.

3. This is very interesting. I find it fascinating the California ranks #1 while we are a heavily liberal state that seems to care deeply about the effects of climate change. It makes me think that our lack of protection for these animals hints that a lot of this could be political jargon. Do you think this is directly related to these three states having big urban areas?

4. Really interesting article, it was surprising to hear about California ranking at #1 for most endangered species in the country. It makes me wonder why that is especially considering our position as one of the major liberal states. Do you think this could be due to the amount of farmland California has?

• Thank you for your response, I believe that farmers themselves and the way that they run their areas can cause a decrease in populations for certain species.